Wednesday 27 March 2013

A Spiritual journey ?

Following on from the last Blog post......

The question you will be asked is why you are making this journey, is it for Religious, Spiritual or Cultural reasons.

Some thoughts on the Spiritual reasons:

These passages are taken from a much longer article worth reading: ~



Make the most of the journey

For those open to it, every single step of the Camino de Santiago is a spiritual experience. The experience occurs on many levels -- the discipline of walking even when it hurts, the camaraderie and joy of community with other pilgrims, the beautiful and inspiring scenery, the rich history of the pilgrimage, and a palpable sense of being surrounded by pilgrims of centuries long past.

If a person chooses it, the Camino de Santiago can also include elements of the classic pilgrimage event even now, centuries after its establishment as one of the primary pilgrimage routes in Christianity. A classic pilgrimage involves certain elements:

o    A journey fraught with difficulty, an ordeal;
o    The carrying of a burden and the burden’s release; and
o    The anticipation of an experience of awe during the journey and at the journey’s end.

Having clarity in advance of the walk is certain to give deeper meaning each step of the way. And it could be that your personal clarity will enrich the lives of other pilgrims who stumble onto you as a they look for clarity in their quest.


o    Some questions you might consider as you walk the Camino.
o    Why am I willing to deprive myself of comforts for a few weeks or more and endure an ordeal?
o    What burden do I carry that I hope will be lifted?
o    Is there part of my life I hope to change, to leave behind me?
o    Is there a new part of myself I hope to discover?
o    What commitments will I make for my spiritual practice while I walk?
o    What decision is pressing on me for which I could use wisdom and guidance?
o    What will I offer other pilgrims as my unique gift for their pilgrimage?
o    What important person(s) from my life will I keep closest to my heart as I walk?
o    When I return, how will I say "thanks" to those who made this pilgrimage possible for me?
o    How will this pilgrimage help me in my larger purpose of loving God and neighbour?


What daily steps can a spiritual pilgrim take to deepen their experience?
Every true spirituality begins in humility. If we are to hope to learn great things we must first understand that we are desperately small and weak. Pilgrims can easily succumb to an ironic "pilgrim pride" that ranks pilgrims based on how far they have walked toward the goal of Santiago de Compostela. Someone starting at the doorstep in Brussels is held in higher esteem than someone starting at Le Puy, who carries themselves proudly in comparison to someone who has merely started at St Jean Pied-de-Port. Someone starting in Burgos or Leon is to stand in awe of someone who started in France. Someone who uses a pack service is not as true a pilgrim as someone who walks with a pack. Lowest of all are those who walk only the last 100 kms and whose lunches are brought to them in a van and who carry no packs at all! These are "mini pilgrims" or "van pilgrims," not True Pilgrims like us. So, since pride separates us from God and neighbour our first spiritual commitment would be to practice the discipline of seeing ourselves as no better than anyone else.
After the high ??

Linda & I have both said a number of times, Geoff & Mark will find a big void in their lives as the preparation has been consuming them for many months..

After my Camino, what kind of post-Camino feelings might I have and what can I do with them?
The Camino de Santiago is a spiritual high and I have found myself sitting alone in the cathedral after my pilgrim family has dispersed to all parts of the globe, sadly realising that I once again am no longer a pilgrim. After praying prayers of thanksgiving for my friends and for the joy of the Camino I slowly let go of the sadness and make my way back home.

One of the challenges of coming back from the Camino is trying to explain to people what actually happened. They'll be amazed at the walking of many miles and they'll ask questions like "where did you stay" and "what did you eat," but none of their questions can really help them penetrate the deeper feelings of the pilgrimage.

You've had a major life experience and it's important to try to tell someone. Write a letter to a loved one explaining your camino experience or give a slideshow at your church as a way to express in your own words what your own camino meant to you. After your credencial and compostela are framed and hung on the wall there should be some token of its ongoing meaning in your life.
 
Consider also:

Helping someone else make the pilgrimage. For me it was first my wife then my son. This year I'm going with my sister. I feel if I can spread the word I can help recover this ancient pathway for pilgrims today and help them in their spiritual journey. I love to see the joy of the Camino de Santiago fill a person's heart and in their camino I relive my own.
Giving your scallop shell to a new pilgrim Why keep it for yourself? Find someone to carry your shell on their pilgrimage. Share the love.
Sharing your experiences and advice on Forums like this. Over 100,000 pilgrims will walk to Santiago this year. Your tips and advice can make a big difference for them. Now that you've made the pilgrimage your words of encouragement and support will mean a lot.
Returning to the Camino as a hospitalero. You'll see the Camino from a very different perspective and by volunteering will make an important contribution to the pilgrimages of others.
Contributing to your country's confraternity. Many countries have their own camino organisations. They'd benefit greatly from your help.

 You may or may not reach this point in the route this time but don't forget to bring your personal rock from home to leave at Cruce de Ferro between Rabanal and El Acebo. You'll be surprised at the importance for many pilgrims of this mound of rocks with a cross at the top that represents the giving over of sins or grief’s or hopes to God.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment